A while back, I went to a seminar and here are my notes about Calcium (Ca) and it's use. Because I use dolomite lime on my Orchids, I thought I'd share my notes. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure this was presented by Yara International.
Uses of Calcium
- Stabilize cell walls. Used in cell division.
- Root growth stops without Ca
- Ca cannot relocate to root tips
- Keeps cells from “leaking” sugar
- Helps some enzymes work
- Helps detoxify bad water
- Helps with disease resistance
- Stress resistance. Stronger cell walls and allows transpiration under high stress
- Better shipping and transit