February 9, 2017 @ 3:02 PM
About five years ago, I bought a handful of plants of a remake of Phal. Angdi Kolopaking. This strain was made by Yaphon using modern venosa x micholitzii. I selected a couple of plants to keep One of them, #2 was the second one to bloom from this batch and was the most vigorous growing plant with nice yellow flowers with light bars. Pretty good shape too. The last one to bloom was the best and I call this one 'Pam'. 'Pam' has an AM/AOS and has great shape and color. Both plants can produce 2 spikes from a single leaf axil.
I sibbed #2 and 'Pam' and maybe will bloom one or two later this year.
Update: 2/1/18 I bloomed the first one, a clear green.&...
January 4, 2017 @ 10:32 PM
This is my very first attempt at a blog. Just to let folks know what's on my mind and what's happening.
I've been using something new to me for rots on orchids. It's called Dragon's Blood (db) and is made from the resin of Croton lechleri sap. I've used it by opening up the rot by gently scraping the spot with sterile tools and applying it (db) on the rot. This works quite well. I've also applied it to the rot without any scraping and this seems to help. This is now my first course of action. I watch the spot and if it starts to spread, I open the spot and apply more db. I also apply it to "iffy" looking crowns of plants and this seems to help quite a bit.........